Red dot sights have become increasingly popular in recent years, offering shooters a rapid aiming solution and improved accuracy.
Among the multitude of options available, the Vortex Optics Venom has emerged as a top contender, especially for those looking to enhance their M&P 9 Shield Plus.
In this comprehensive review, we’ll delve into the specs, features, performance, pros and cons of the Vortex Optics Venom, compare it to the HOLOSUN HS507K-X2, address common FAQs.
Specs of Vortex Optics Venom
The Vortex Optics Venom comes with a range of specifications that make it stand out in the red dot sight market:
- Magnification: 1x
- Objective Lens Diameter: 26mm
- Dot Size: 3 MOA or 6 MOA
- Length: 1.9 inches
- Weight: 1.1 ounces
- Battery Life: Up to 150 hours at the highest setting (3 MOA), and up to 30,000 hours at the lowest setting (6 MOA)
- Waterproof: Yes (IPX7)
- Shockproof: Yes
- Brightness Levels: 10 levels
- Coating: Fully multi-coated lenses for anti-reflective and scratch-resistant performance
- Mount Type: Weaver/Picatinny
- Parallax Free: Yes
Features of Vortex Optics Venom
The Vortex Optics Venom boasts a wide range of features that cater to the needs of both novice and experienced shooters:
- Choice of Dot Size: With the option to switch between a 3 MOA dot and a larger 6 MOA dot, this sight allows you to choose the perfect reticle size for your shooting needs.
- Battery Life: The extended battery life of up to 30,000 hours at the lowest setting ensures that you won’t be constantly changing batteries during your shooting sessions.
- Rugged Construction: Built to withstand harsh conditions, the Venom is both waterproof and shockproof. It can handle the recoil of your gun without a hitch.
- Brightness Controls: With 10 brightness levels, you can adapt to different lighting conditions, making this red dot sight suitable for both day and night use.
- Unlimited Eye Relief: Shoot with both eyes open for increased situational awareness and quicker target acquisition.
- Quick and Easy Windage and Elevation Adjustments: The sight includes audible clicks for precise adjustments.
- High-Quality Optics: Fully multi-coated lenses provide a clear and sharp sight picture.
Performance of Vortex Optics Venom
The performance of the Vortex Optics Venom is exceptional. It offers rapid target acquisition and precise aiming. Whether you’re shooting at close-quarters or engaging targets at a distance, the Venom helps you maintain accuracy.
The choice of dot size (3 MOA for precision shooting and 6 MOA for rapid target acquisition) is a significant advantage, as it caters to various shooting scenarios.
The Venom’s battery life is remarkable, ensuring you won’t be left in the lurch during extended shooting sessions. Its rugged construction means it can withstand the elements and the rigors of shooting.
Pros and Cons
Compare Vortex Optics Venom vs Others
When comparing the Vortex Optics Venom to the HOLOSUN HS507K-X2, there are a few key differences to consider.
The Venom offers a choice of dot sizes (3 MOA and 6 MOA) while the HS507K-X2 has a 2 MOA dot. The Venom has a longer battery life, making it more suitable for long shooting sessions. Both sights are rugged and offer excellent optics.
The choice between them may come down to personal preference, particularly regarding dot size and battery life requirements.
1. Can the Venom withstand heavy recoil from a firearm like the M&P 9 Shield Plus?
Yes, the Venom is shockproof and can handle the recoil of the M&P 9 Shield Plus without any issues.
2. How easy is it to zero the Venom?
Zeroing the Venom is straightforward, thanks to the audible clicks for windage and elevation adjustments.
3. Can the Venom be used with night vision devices?
While the Venom does not have night vision settings, the lowest brightness setting is still usable with night vision equipment.
4. Does it come with a Picatinny or Weaver mount?
The Venom comes with a Weaver/Picatinny mount.
In conclusion, the Vortex Optics Venom is a superb choice for those seeking the best red dot sight for their M&P 9 Shield Plus.
Its choice of dot sizes, excellent battery life, rugged construction, and high-quality optics make it a versatile and reliable addition to your firearm.
Whether you’re an avid shooter or a beginner, the Venom enhances your aiming precision and speed, making it a valuable investment in your shooting gear.
Consider your specific needs and preferences when choosing between the Venom and other red dot sights, but it undoubtedly deserves its place as one of the top contenders in the market.
Shelly Jark Drakny is a retired SF weapons sergeant (E-5 or above) with a military occupational specialty (MOS) code 18B. He served 24 years in the military, including assignments in SF, Infantry, and Special Forces.